Driving & Walking Tours | Monuments | John Hunt Morgan in Kentucky | Fort Heiman
paductxt.gif (3824 bytes)
6. Lloyd Tilghman Memorial Lange Park, Paducah (McCracken County)
Bronze figure on pink granite pedestal and base, 1909

Inscription: Brigadier General Lloyd Tilghman C. S. A. killed at the Battle of Champion's Hill, Mississippi, May 16, 1863. To the faithful sons of the Confederate States of America who gave all to uphold Constitutional Liberty and States Rights.

In 1909, the Tilghman family and the United Daughters of the Confederacy erected this monument in Lange Park. A bronze figure by English sculptor Henry H. Kitson shows the Confederate general hatless, wearing a double-breasted tunic coat, boots, and gloves, with his hand on the hilt of his sword.

tilghman.jpg (9652 bytes)

A West Point graduate and veteran of the Mexican War, Lloyd Tilghman moved to Paducah in 1852 to supervise the construction of the New Orleans and Ohio Railroad. As commander of the western State Guard, Tilghman tried to keep Kentucky neutral, but when that failed, he joined the Confederacy. He organized the 3d Kentucky Regiment and was soon promoted to brigadier general. As commander of Fort Henry, he stayed with his troops until they were forced to surrender to U. S. General Ulysses S. Grant in February 1862. He was released by prisoner exchange and took command of the 1st Brigade in Loring's Division. On May 16, 1863 he was fatally shot defending Champion's Hill near Vicksburg.

A high school in Paducah also honors General Tilghman by name.

Of the Civil War monument artists represented in the state, Henry Kitson was among the most prominent. Born in England, Kitson studied at the Ecole des Arts and with master Augustus St. Gaudens. Perhaps his most famous work, The Puritan was created for Salem, Massachusetts.


Trivia Question! This important woman sculptor was married to Henry Kitson.

What is "states' rights," as referred to in the inscription?

7. Confederate Monument
Oak Grove Cemetery, Paducah (McCracken County)
Granite obelisk, 1907
paducah1.jpg (8169 bytes)
Inscription (obelisk face): Our Confederate Dead – 1861-1865.
Inscription (entryway step): Confederate Rest.
paducah2.jpg (8365 bytes)
This approximately 20-foot-tall obelisk was erected in 1907, probably by the United Daughters of the Confederacy. A step, inscribed with "Confederate Rest," constitutes the entryway to the monument. It is flanked by low posts ornamented with Confederate battle flags.

Paducah was occupied by U. S. General Ulysses S. Grant at the start of the War and later suffered from the attentions of General Eleazor A. Paine as he punished the city's residents for their loyalty to the Confederacy. The citizens lent some support to Confederate Maj. General Nathan B. Forrest's cavalry during 1864 raids. The Battle of Paducah took place in March 1864 when Forrest's troops raided and destroyed supplies, rounded up horses and engaged Colonel Stephen G. Hicks' federal troops at Fort Anderson. When local newspapers reported that the Confederates had missed some fine horses during their raids, they returned to the area in April to seize the overlooked animals.

paducah.jpg (17025 bytes)


Why were horses so important to the raiders?

More about Civil War in Paducah
Back to Region 1

WMTH Corporation, PO Box 51153, Bowling Green, KY 42102