27a - Redman's Tavern
Christmas Raid. The Christmas Raid of 1862 is generally regarded as Confederate General John Hunt Morgan's most successful raid into Kentucky. His troops destroyed two long trestles on the L&N Railroad, captured 1,877 prisoners, and caused thousands of dollars worth of damage to Federal arms and supplies.
Ten regiments of soldiers in two brigades took part in the raid. The First Brigade was commanded by Col. Basil Duke, Morgan's brother-in-law and the Second Brigade by Col. W.C. P. Breckinridge. A few days earlier, Duke had sustained a severe wound in the head and it was not known if he would recover.

En route to Tennessee, Morgan's force of approximately 3,900 men invaded Campbellsville. The Louisville Democrat described Morgan's foray into the town:

No one was warned of his [Morgan's] approach until the town was occupied. He began his usual work of robbery immediately. There was not a good horse left in town. The stores were inundated, post office robbed, etc. Mr. W.F. Chandler, one of the merchants in the village, was damaged to the amount of several thousand dollars. Mr. Redman, who keeps hotel and a tan yard, lost about two thousand dollars' worth of leather and his hotel was taken possession of and made headquarters.
That the cold, snowy New Year's Eve, Morgan's troops camped in and around Campbellsville. The men had been in the saddle for forty-eight hours, including a harrowing march in the freezing sleet from Springfield near Lebanon to Campbellsville. The exhausted, wet, cold soldiers huddled around the campfires trying to warm themselves and cook something to eat. They slept in barns, on porches, roads and the ground. Morgan's foragers "pressed" fresh horses and his men "asked" farmers' wives for miles around to prepare food for them.

27b - Rebel New Year's Eve Party
(Christmas Raid, December 31, 1862)

Robert Colvin's Warehouse. Postmaster Colvin owned the tobacco warehouse, which also housed the post office that once stood here. During the Civil War, the U.S. Government leased the warehouse as a supply depot.

When the Confederates under Brig. General John Hunt Morgan occupied Campbellsville on New Year's Eve, they entered the warehouse and seized the supplies and foodstuffs. They forced Colvin to give up all Federal funds that he controlled, opened the mail and confiscated money and valuables. They also read the newspapers and letters seeking information about Federal military operations in the area.

Curtis Burke, a scout riding with Morgan, wrote about Campbellsville: "No Yanks there except a few sick in the hospital. Our company camped in a stable ... I went to a house and got my supper. I was running around most of the night hunting for things the Yanks hid away. A crowd of us got into a room where there were four large boxes full of new cavalry overcoats, pants and boots.

The next morning the townspeople heard that Morgan's Men had been ordered to "fire" the remaining stores in the warehouse. They protested vehemently, fearing that a fire at the warehouse would spread and burn down the whole town. They persuaded the Confederate commanding officer to remove the stores from the building and place them in the middle of Main Street before setting fire to them.

Federal Pursuit. A Federal force was sent from Lebanon to find Morgan. The men spent a freezing New Year's Eve at New Market in Marion County without campfires. On New Year's Day they charged into Campbellsville hoping to "bag" Morgan, to no avail.

Burke: "We pushed on with all possible speed, and approaching Campbellsville, heard that he [Morgan] was yet in town. The charge was ordered and forward dashed the cavalry and artillery. The road was soon lined with blankets, kettles, sabers, revolvers and everything that could fly loose! Entering the town, the Government stores were found burning, the streets were filled with crying women and children, the stores were all gutted. . . Morgan had been gone about an hour."

27c - Rebel Guerrillas on Main Street

November 21, 1864

In the fall of 1864, Col. James W. Weatherford’s 13th Kentucky Cavalry force, USA, which guarded Campbellsville’s citizens from rebel activity, was reduced from 60 to 20 men.

Just before a heavy November snowfall, Henry C. Magruder’s rebel guerrilla band, about seventeen in number, came to the small settlement of Colesby in northern Taylor County. They captured and killed Cpl. Samuel Williams of Company L, 13th Kentucky Cavalry, who was visiting his uncle and then "pressed" a slave to guide them to Campbellsville.

They rode into town around sunset and shot two cavalrymen who were patrolling the streets, mortally wounding Pvt. James C. Blankenship and seriously wounding the other.

Up and down Main Street, the guerrillas fired their weapons, aiming at startled citizens, the Louisville Journal reported:

They broke into the stores of Messrs. Gowdy, Turner & Co., and Chandler and Mourning, obtaining $75 in money from the former and nothing from the latter. Every citizen they met was relieved of pocketbooks and watches. In an incredibly short space of time, they robbed the citizens of at least $2,000 in money, watches, etc. Mr. [Ferdinand] Hiestand was robbed of $1,485, mostly Kentucky bank notes. James Blandford [saddler] lost a valuable gold watch and overcoat; Jeter & Haskins, $100; E.[Edward] Rice, $100; Frank Hackley, $15; Billy Marr, $15; John H. Chandler, gold watch, and $40 in money. Several other citizens were robbed....

News of the siege spread quickly to the residents of upper Main Street where a large stagecoach was pulling in from Lebanon. Unfortunately for the guerrillas, several discharged Federal artillerymen were among its passengers. When told of what was happening down the street, the discharged soldiers took cover in a house on this block, gathered some weapons, and prepared to protect the coach from the guerrillas.

Magruder’s men worked their way up the street, robbing citizens and stores. They surrounded the empty stagecoach and its valuable horses. The Federal soldiers opened fire, injuring one of the guerrillas. The rebels skedaddled. Later, they passed through Saloma on the old Lexington–Nashville Road, eating dinner and camping on the farm of southern sympathizer, Daniel Williams, who lived just over the Taylor County line in Green County.

27d - Raid on Hiestand-Chandler House

Great Raid
July 4, 1863

Araminta Hiestand Chandler and her husband, Joseph Harrison Chandler, were living in this house, located a mile from Campbellsville on the Old Greensburg Road, during the Civil War.

Joseph H. Chandler was an attorney, a strong Union Democrat, and a Kentucky State Representative. He often spoke at rallies in support of the Union cause. On July 4, he was scheduled to be on the program with U.S. Congressman Aaron Harding, who was due to speak on the Court House lawn at 1 o’clock. Plans were cancelled when Confederate Gen. John H. Morgan’s troops entered Campbellsville from the south following their loss at the Battle of Tebbs Bend at Green River.
The Rebels fanned out to farms within five miles of the town to find forage for their horses and food for themselves. They came riding through Chandler’s fields knocking down the knee-high stalks of corn and tromping through the wheat. They robbed the corn crib, which was nearly empty from the work of former raiders. The cavalrymen were also hopeful that the servants in the Chandler household would cook their dinner.

Araminta, home alone with the children, was just as determined that she was NOT going to feed any raiders a meal that day. She stood at the back door of the house with a shotgun aimed at the Confederate intruders and warned them not to come inside her house. Not wishing to tempt fate, the cavalrymen obliged and left the household alone.

"We went to the suburbs of the town of Campbellsville and camped in a lot. We had to carry our corn a quarter of a mile from a crib. Some of the boys went to the nearest houses and got something for their messes. I bummed a snack for myself. At dusk we were ordered to saddle up." Morgan cavalryman Curtis Burke.
Taylor County Civil War Sites

Green River Bridge and Stockade – The bridge now in place was not there at the time of the battle. The sites of these two places are included in the Tebbs Bend NR nomination. Have these sites been marked?

Battle of Tebbs Bend – July 4, 1863 battle between John Hunt Morgan’s cavalry and detachment of 25th MI Inf. Union victory. This battle is listed in the National register of Historic Places and approximately six placed have been interpreted.

Taylor County Courthouse
– The courthouse was an important feature of Campbellsville and was used by Union troops throughout the war. Soldiers camped on lawn and in the building. Confederate Gen. Hyland B. Lyon burned the courthouse on December 5, 1864.

Clay Hill – Also known as the "Widow Saunders House" Morgan visited the house during the Christmas raid to gather information regarding Union troops strength at the Rolling Fork bridge and New Market. The house may have served as a Confederate mail drop.

Pleasant Hill Church – I am really confused as to what this building was used for during the Civil War. Betty Jane’s notes are very cryptic.

Finley Ridge – The "Top of Muldraughs Hill" dividing line between Taylor and Marion counties JH Morgan used this ridge to watch Federal troops in the valley below (December 31, 1862).

Redmond’s Tavern
– A log tavern that was used as a headquarters by JH Morgan on the Christmas Raid. Later occupied by Union forces.

Site of Robert Collin’s Warehouse – Building used by US forces to store quartermaster supplies, destroyed by JH Morgan December 31, 1862.

WMTH CORPORATION PO BOX 51153 BOWLING GREEN, KY 42102 PHONE (270) 792-5300 FAX 721-0004