HISTORICAL PHOTOS/INFO FROM CALHOUN (click on any of the photos below for a larger version)
C1 - Calhoun - (Founded in 1784 as Rhoadsville, later known as Fort Vienna) was located up on the hill overlooking the Green River. From the time of the Indians through the Civil War, the location of the Fort has gone through many changes. Union troops of the 17th Kentucky Volunteers (over 600) trained here during the Civil War.
C2 “Founding Fathers” Judge John Calhooun (of which the city was named) and his family lived on the location of the old Fort before the Civil War. He died in October 1852 and is buried in the Calhoon Family Graveyard on a part of the land (near the city water tower). Visit the “Founding Fathers” Graveyard at the top of the hill near the city water tower). (HAVE PHOTO OF GRAVEYARD). Please Note: Sometime after 1900, the spelling of the name “Calhoon” was changed to “Calhoun”. The reason for the change in spelling has not been found.
C3 - First Courthouse was also located on the hill overlooking the Green River. It was built on the site of the present Holiness Church sometime after the first Court of the County was held in the James Landrum Tavern House in June 1854. In Court Order Book A, Page 33, Monday July 3rd 1854, Charles Hamilton and F.M. Bristow brought before the Court a selection and plat designating lots 72 and 79 to be the “Seat of Justice for the County of McLean”. (Need PHOTO OF Courthouse)
In Order Book B, pages 219 & 220, July 4th, 1864, it was ordered by the Court to select a committee to bring in plans to build a new Court House. The old building had been damaged beyond repair during the War and a storm.
C3-2 The Second Courthouse was built in 1872 and burned on January 8, 1908. The P.H. Smith house was then built on this spot until it moved to its present location at 504 Main. (PHOTO IN MCLEAN CO. HISTORY MUSEUM BROCHURE NEED BETTER PHOTO)
C3-3 The third and present Courthouse was built in 1908 at a cost of $21,650. It is of Beaux-Arts influenced classical design with an inset ionic portico. (HAVE CURRENT PHOTO)
C4 Site of the first Court of the County James Landrum Tavern House in 1854 (HAVE CURRENT PHOTO OF HISTORIC MARKER)
C5 Kerrick-Muster House, Circa 1890. Mr. Jim Kerrick built this house about 1890. He made and fired his brick and built the house himself. (HAVE CURRENT PHOTO OF HOUSE)
C6 Muster’s Funeral Home Built circa 1872 and a McLean County business since 1855.
C7 Built in 1881, the building has housed Jacob Weil’s Department Store, a hardware store, Western Auto, medical clinic and a bank. (HAVE CURRENT PHOTO OF HOUSE)
C8 Tichenor House built in 1872. This two-story brick structure sold in 1893 for $3,000. It is constructed of red brick with borders of white filigree around the circular veranda. (HAVE CURRENT PHOTO OF HOUSE)
C9 Circa 1845, Quisenberry & Quisenberry Law Firm has been a dry goods store, dentist and doctors office and the first McLean County Library. HAVE CURRENT PHOTO
C10 - The buildings on the corner of Second Street and Main Street were located in front of the McLean County Courthouse. These buildings once housed an apothecary shoppe, Brenner’s Department Store, floral shop and many other business. The buildings were vacant for many years and finally torn down in 2006. HAVE CURRENT PHOTO
C11 Griffith-Franklin House is located at the corner of Second and Poplar. This house was built in 1854 by the Griffith heirs. The house originally contained eight roomssix on the first floor and two on the second floor. During the Civil War, the house was owned by W.W. Franklin and became the Union headquarters and hospital by Brig. General Thomas I. Crittenden during the early years of the war. (HAVE CURRENT PHOTO)
C12 Across the street from the Griffith-Franklin house is a house owned by Jeptha C. Johnson in 1869 who was one of the writers of the Kentucky Constitution. He was also a lawyer, and Confederate lieutenant Colonel in the Civil War. The home is presently owned by Mr. and Mrs. Joe Vandiver. (NEED PHOTO)
C13 The Prentice and Hugh Bell Smith House located at 504 Main Street and current home for the McLean County History and Genealogy Museum was moved from its original site to make room for the second courthouse. In 1946, long-time resident Mrs. Jennie Leachman born in 1860 described the Prentice Smith house as “the old two-story house where Prentice Smith now lives was moved (1871) to its present location form the lot where the courthouse now stand. It was moved along Main Street by oxen. I saw it moved, and it was the home of Mr. and Mrs. Loyd Gates, one of our early lawyers, the father of Dr. Hugh Gates, whose mother was Irene Calhoon Gates, daughter of John Calhoon”. On July 7th, 2002, Mrs. Prentice Smith donated the property that was his home from 1933 to 2002 to the museum. www.geocities/mcleancountymuseum