WYOMING CHAMBER OF COMMERCE P.O. Box 235, Mullens WV 25882
“Music of the Coalfields Highway”
Land of boulders, fast running waters, waterfalls, railroad lines, trestles, wildlife, birding, fishing, mountain biking, mountain climbing, hiking, backpacking, bed & breakfasts. No stoplights nor 4-lane roads in this mostly rural county.
Part of the Coal Heritage Trail www.coalheritage.org
Book. Images of America: Wyoming County by Ed Robinson, published by Arcadia Publishing.
Town of Mullens
Historic Railroad town. 75 structures of historic significance. Historic landmarks in the downtown area.
See photos below.
Historic Buildings in Mullens
- Webster Apartments originally Mullens General Hospital, 1921.
- Wyoming Hotel built in 1918, destroyed by fire and rebuilt around 1922.
- Eatwell Café built in 1922. Closed after the 2001 flood.
- Smiley Department Store 1921-22
- Trent Building 1922, Men’s clothing with offices on the 2nd floor.
- Bank of Mullens 1921, 3-story brick building. Has housed banks, clothing store and currently has been made into apartments.
- G.C. Murphy Co. Building 1944, now houses Southern Highlands Inc., a mental health organization.
- Markowitz Building 1922, “Army and Navy Store” men’s clothing. Owned by the Markowitz’ family, the only Jewish family to live in the area for any extended period of time.
- The Law Building 1923, once housed an African-American hotel and restaurant.
- Mullens Dollar Store 1924, dry goods, clothing, notions.
- Hatcher Building 1922, furniture store, SEARS Catalog Store and bank.
- Levi Lusk Apartment and Garage Building 1929, housed the Craft Bus Line as a service garage.
- Ball and Shannon Building 1927, general merchandise, grocery, school supplies, school books.
- A.J. Mullens Building 1921, store and real estate office with apartment on second floor. Also housed the Mullens Motor County (automobiles) for nearly 40 years.
Mullens Opportunity Center 300 Front Street
Mullens, WV 25882 (304) 294-6188
Maben Coal Mine operated from 1944 1969.
Town of Maben - site of Ritter Lumber Co. from 1903 1948. Mining town from 1944 1969. 18-remodeled lumberjack dwelling and 1 original dwelling remain. Also, the world’s largest hardwood lumber producer in 1929. Home to a log one-room schoolhouse built in 1936.
Otsego Coal mining town from 1917 1968. Virginia Railway Tunnel built there in 1926.
Otsego on Cedar Creek Strip and underground coal mine.
Nuriva Coal Mine Town, 1916.
Mullens Athletic Field Monument of Rick Tolley who has the head coach of Marshall University who was killed along with 74 team members in 1970.
Stone Tunnel Free standing unsupported railroad tunnel cut through solid rock in 1906.
Town of Itmann Coal mining town, 1916. 120 buildings built for employees and their families. Many houses remain. The 1917, 2-room schoolhouse is preserved. 324 feet high steel bridge was a mine car trestle built in 1919 for WWI.
Itmann Coal Tipple Coal prep plant build in 1948 by Pocahontas Consolidated Coal Company.
Winding Gulf Coal Mines 1912 1984 largest production of Coal in Wyoming County came from mines along Virginia Railway.
U.S. Mine Pinnacle Creek One of the largest coal mine producers in eastern U.S.
Lambert Knob lookout tower for forest fire control built in 1923.
Indian Fort restored circular rock structure believed to be Indian in origin.
U.S. Steel Mine Man Trip Shaft and Office Premises
Saulsville Town settled in 1840, site of Southern West VA Community College, a freestanding state supported, fully accredited.
Twin Falls Resort Park - Rt. 97 Box 1023, Mullens, WV 25882 (304) 294-4000; 800-CALL WVA www.twinfallsresort.com. Amphitheater, Conference Center, Hotel, Hiking, Walking. Site of the 1830’s pioneer homestead. Remains of the 1892 water powered grist mill (Foleys Mill) are still viewable, scenic, lodge, restaurant, 18 hole championship golf course, deluxe cabins, campsites.
Town of Pineville
Town settled in 1840. Courthouse built in 1916 and County Jail in 1929 from native stone quarried nearby
Castle Rock peculiar rock formation located at Castle Rock Creek and Guyandotte River. Rises 221 feet from the river.
Mullensville 1933 - 1936, site of the Civilian Conservation Camp for needy boys ages from 15 20. Provided jobs for them.
National Mines Corporation Pocahontas Mine 1968 to the present. Mines 500,000 tons of coal/year.
Wyoming coal mining town, est. 1938. Childhood home of Curt Warner, pro football player.
Baileyville 1804, ancient Indian campground. Five cemeteries dating back to the 1800s.
Horse Creek Lake 1955, public fishing lake.
Coal Mountain home to Burning Rock and descendents of the Hatfield feud.
Lizzard Creek Park picnic facilities, grandstand, volleyball, horseshoes and playground equipment.
Cyclone remains on an Indian village, park located here.
Lacome petrography and pre-Columbian archaeological diggings found here.
Oceana First settlement in Wyoming County 1799. State historical marker located at Laurel Park. Serves as the County Seat. Sportsman Cove fishing lake, miniature golf, archery, etc.
Matheny Jesse Home to the Guyandotte Baptist Church organized in 1812. In 1864, Civil War skirmish was fought here between the Union and Confederate Home Guards.
Glen Fork 4H Camp located here in the summer.
Sabine Coal mining plant now idle. Original houses and store buildings still in existence from 1924.
Glen Rogers hometown of former Governor William Marland.
Tralee, Alpoca, and Bud original 1914 dwellings, remodeled and privately owned. Alpoca has an Opera House. Large superintendent house remains.
Herndon Mountain 4 high bridges and 5 tunnels were built to cross the Great Flat Top Mountain in 1907. Wyoming/Mercer County line falls at elevation of 3500 square feet. Rt. #10 crosses at 3,044 ft. elevation.