The third and present Henry County courthouse was completed around 1875. The new courthouse was being constructed to replace the old one that burned in the early 1870s. This courthouse is the first know major work in Kentucky by H.P. McDonald, who later went on to design many courthouses throughout Kentucky. The courthouse itself suggests Italianate influence with the cupola, which was added later, suggesting Beaux-Arts design.