Construction for the third and present Greenup County courthouse was completed in 1940. Funding for the new building was provided by a grant from the Public Works Administration. The stone used in the construction of the building was quarried from nearby Lewis County. The total cost of the new courthouse was $107,631. In 1963, an addition was added to the side of the courthouse.